Tips For A Pooch-Safe Memorial Day!
2. Speaking of food, certain foods like onions, avocado, chocolate, grapes and raisins are especially toxic to pets.
3. Avoid lathering your pet with any insect repellent or sunscreen not intended for the four-legged kind. Ingestion can result in drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst and lethargy.
4. Keep your pet away from matches, citronella candles and lighter fluid, which if eaten can irritate the stomach, lungs and central nervous system.
5. Donâ€™t leave pets unsupervised around a pool or lakeâ€”not all dogs are expert swimmers!
6. Keep plenty of fresh water on hand for the pooches; by the way, pools don’t double as large water bowlsâ€”they contain chlorine and other toxic chemicals that can cause stomach upset.
7. Keep them indoors as much as possible during backyard parties.
8. If your dog shows signs of distress from boisterous revelers, Dr. Reid suggests giving him a Kong toy stuffed with peanut butter.
9. Make sure all backyard guests know to keep gates and doors closed–with all the festivities going on, you might not notice your pooch has wandered off until it’s too late!
10. Since alcohol is potentially poisonous to pets, place all wine, beer and spirits well out of pawsâ€™ reach.