Ten Tips For Avoiding A Dog Bite
2. If a dog threatens you, don’t scream. Avoid eye contact. Try to remain motionless until the dog leaves, then back away slowly until the dog is out of sight
3. Don’t approach a strange dog, especially one that’s tethered or confined
4. While letter carriers are discouraged from petting animals, people who choose to pet dogs should always let a dog see and sniff them before petting the animal
5. If you believe a dog is about to attack you, try to place something between yourself and the dog, such as a backpack or a bicycle.
6. Obedience training can teach dogs proper behavior and help owners control their dogs
7. When a carrier comes to your home, keep your dog inside, away from the door in another room
8. Don’t let your child take mail from the carrier in the presence of your dog. Your dog’s instinct is to protect the family
9. Spay or neuter your dog. Neutered dogs are less likely to bite
10. Dogs that receive little attention or handling, or are left tied up for long periods of times, frequently turn into biters.