Top Ten Reasons to Adopt a Senior Dog
November is Adopt-a-Senior Dog Month! These amazing pooches are often overlooked in shelters–but it’s important to remember all the great things these dogs have to offer:
1. Older dogs are usually housetrained–you won’t have to go through the difficult, dirty, smelly stage of teaching a puppy house manners (and mopping up after accidents!).
2. Older dogs are not teething puppies, so your shoes and furniture will be safe!
3. Older dogs can focus well because they’ve mellowed–therefore, they learn quickly.
4. Senior pooches know what “No” means…if they hadn’t learned it, they wouldn’t have gotten to be older dogs!
5. Elder pooches settle in easily because they’ve learned what it takes to get along with other and become part of the pack.
6. Older dogs are good at giving love once they get into their new, loving home. They are grateful for the second chance they’ve been given.
7. What you see is what you get–unlike puppies, older dogs have grown into their shape and personality. Puppies can grow up to be quite different from what they seemed at first.
8. Older dogs are instant companions, ready for hiking car trips and, of course, being amazing couch potatoes.
9. Seniors will give you time to yourself, since they aren’t as demanding of your time and attention as younger dogs.
10. Older dogs let you get a good night’s sleep because they’re accustomed to human schedules and don’t generally need nighttime feedings, comforting or potty breaks.