Scientists Confirm Oregon Dogs Killed By Blue-Green Algae

Scientists at Oregon State University have confirmed that one of four dogs that died recently after drinking from an Oregon creek was poisoned by blue-green algae.

The dog, an 11-year-old husky named Kuta, tested positive for a neurotoxin released by the algae.

Four dogs suffered convulsions and died after visits to Elk Creek. Water samples confirmed the presence of blue-green algae in the creek.

The owner Kuta had another dog, a young blue heeler named Porter, who was also killed by the algae.

The toxic algae typically blooms in the summer in pools and slow-moving rivers.


Source: The Associated Press

  • You already voted!
  • Read More
Subscribers Only
Join 5,000 readers who get their news from us.

SUBSCRIBE 
Get unlimited free access after subscribing without spam.
close-link