I came across this little list of ingredients you’ll commonly see appear on the back of dog food bags, along with a little explanation of exactly what it is and what it does…more like what it DOESN’T do.
Yeah…all pet owners should really know what they’re feeding their furry friends, and this is proof positive of that. Check that ingredient list of the food you’re already using and see how many of these show up!
1. Wheat – #1 allergen in dogs, a contributing factor in canine obesity
2. Corn – A source of heavy carbs because of the high sugar content and contains the entire corn plant
3. Soy – highly processed form of the bean which is void of the essential fats, antioxidants and minerals naturally found in the soybean
4. By-product meal – any part of the animal other than muscle tissue (head, feet, feathers…)
5. Digest – a combination of many animal parts not fit for human consumption (road kill, euthanized animals)
6. Ethoxyquin – chemical used in the production of rubber bands, banned in human foods
7. Egg product – eggshells, eggs that have gone rancid or spoiled
8. Brewer’s rice – broken outer shells of rice that lack any nutrients andhave been discarded
9. Preservatives – BHA, meant to prolong the shelf life, offer no nutritional value and may actually harm your dog
10. Cellulose – pulp left over from fibrous plants = sawdust